Jan 1st 2007, i made a resolution that i will get my duplicate RC made and today, Jan 16th 2009, i have applied for it :). I want to list out the TODOs to get a duplicate RC book so that people will be able to get it done easily without too much of a hassle (i can't help you if you are good for nothing).
1. Do not get in contact with the Middle Men. RTO guys are straight forward and no one takes a bribe to get stuff done (atleast they won't ask for one). Kudos to Bangalore Central RTO employees.
2. Working hours for the Assistant RTO is 10:00 to 13:30 hrs. Ensure that you are not caught off guard.
3. The RTO officials believe in a step by step procedure and they don't like over smart people asking too many questions at the same time. You will be given info about the current step and not the future steps.
1. Police Complaint Challan
2. Affidavit requesting for Duplicate RC book
3. Photo ID proof
4. Address proof (In case address change is required)
5. Form 26 (Duplicate RC book)
6. Form 33 (Change of Address)
7. Copy of Motor Insurance (which is not expired, of course)
8. Copy of old RC book/ Road Tax paper (not necessary but handy doc)
(In case your vehicle is taken on loan then you might need to get approval from the corresponding banks on the form 26).
1. Go to the nearest police station (preferably the station in your locality or RTO's locality). You have to handover a letter addressed to the Sub Inspector of police requesting application for duplicate RC book due to the loss of original one. The sub inspector of police will issue a challan with your name and a statement which says "RC Book Missing". This challan has to be attached with the form 26.
[ The police guy was quick and gave it to me in no time. The only bad part was that he requested for INR 100. As far as i know, we need not pay the police. Since i believe that the police officers in India are underpaid, i didn't make too much of a noise and shelled out the bucks. I hope the govt realizes the importance of paying the security guys nicely. This will eliminate corruption to a great extent.]
2. Get the Affidavit made on a INR 20 Stamp paper. There will atleast be a single shop near the RTO office which will be supplying such affidavits. You need to get your details printed on that in the same shop. [The shop guy charged me INR 120 to get it done. He gave me a useless bill when i demanded for one]
3. Collect form 26 and form 33 from the RTO reception (or ask some police guy/RTO official). Fill the forms appropriately and strike off the sections which are not applicable. The owner of the vehicle should be signing the forms.
4. Buy a simple file which will hold your papers(called as the RTO file in the nearby stationery shops). The papers can either be stapled or tied using a tag and should be attached to the file. It will be good to have the details like Name, Registration Number and the reason written on top of the file. (Give your mobile and phone numbers generously)
5. Goto the Superintendent of RTO and submit your file to him/her. He/She will verify the documents and forms. In case everything is fine, he will sign on the forms with the date. You will be sent to the ARTO.
6. ARTO will verify your ID proof (original ID card) and attest on the form.
7. Pay the fees at the cashier (INR 35 for form 26 and INR 20 for form 33).
8. Take back the file with the cash receipts attached to the Superintendent. He/She will sign the receipts too.
9. Submit the file to the reception or the person who collects the files (please find out from the RTO)
10. The person will hand out a chit with a date for receiving the updated document(s). Retain the slip carefully and make sure you remember the request number written on the chit (Just in case).
Thus, you have completed the procedure for applying for a duplicate copy of your RC book and also have the address on your RC book changed. I will update on how we receive the duplicate copy. I got a date of 27th Jan, 2009.
I have written the steps which i had to go through. Optimization may vary depending on how badly you fill the forms and act on your D day ;).
Collected my duplicate RC book on 30th Jan. No trouble in getting it done. The superintendent had to sign in few places, the other guy had to put the seal all over the RC book. You need to be patient as well as active to get your work done.